Saturday, September 18, 2010

Neda’s Mother Appeals to the International Community


30th August 2010

In an interview with the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran, Neda Agha Soltan’s mother, Hajar Rostami, appealed to international human rights organizations and the international court in The Hague to help prosecute her daughter’s murderer.
More than one year after Neda Agha Soltan’s shocking death before the eyes of the world, her mother is seeking justice. Rostami told the Campaign that the family’s efforts to find her daughter’s murderer have been fruitless. “I have nothing further to tell the government. I have kept my silence all this time. Now I want the world to help me find Neda’s murderer. I have lost my child and my life has been turned upside down. Every time I return from her grave site, it feels as though my daughter only just died and we just buried her,” she told the Campaign.

Rostami told the Campaign that Iranian authorities have not put any pressure on her after her daughter’s death. However, she complained about the widespread efforts to distort the truth about her daughter’s death. She referred to the “documentaries” broadcast by the state-controlled Television, Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), and statements made by some Iranian authorities, such as Friday Prayer leaders and specifically, statements made by Ezzatollah Zarghami, director of the IRIB.

“I didn’t see the film, I only heard about it. I don’t want to see it! I have no opinions about it. They have broadcast three films and each time contradicted their earlier claims. As Neda’s mother, as far as I know, she went out to protest and was killed by their forces; there is no other story,” said Rostami.

“They want to say that this is a free country, that everyone can express their opinions, and that there is complete freedom in Iran. This is not true at all,” she said about the goals such programs pursue. The Campaign asked Rostami whether she believes the contents of the IRIB documentaries. “No one believes these lies, neither Iranian people nor those abroad. They said her murderer was a woman. What had Neda done for a woman to kill her? I know who the murderer is, but government agents don’t accept it,” she said.

Rostami emphasized that she has maintained silence each time state television made another documentary. “They killed Neda in broad daylight. I filed a complaint, but so far I haven’t gotten very far. Now you want me to file a suit about the documentary film?” she said. She told the Campaign that when she sees this treatment, the only thing that is a solace to her is to see worldwide support. “They said ‘we didn’t make the film which showed Neda had committed suicide.’ I said ‘well, your broadcasting organization aired it! How can you say you didn’t know about it?!’ They said ‘we are going to make a film and show who killed Neda.’ In that film, they introduced the murderer as a woman. When I objected to the film that claimed Neda had committed suicide they said, ‘Voice your objections in the newspapers.’ I said what could I say in a newspaper which is published by the government?” she said.



No comments:

Post a Comment